Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wiki, where will you take us?


I have worked with wikimedia previously, but never actually made an edit to a wikipedia page. I had a snow day on Monday, so I took advantage of the morning and sat down with my kids and looked at the Asheville page. That led to looking at the page about our neighborhood. We had some fun editing, and adding some information. We researched and added information about a former Governor of North Carolina, Locke Craig, who happens to be buried in Riverside Cemetery very near our home. Then we walked up and took some pictures to add to the site. There are quite a few famous people resting eternally at Riverside, including Thomas Wolfe, whose gravestone is pictured above. My kids are eager to do some more wiki contributions.
Actually setting up my profile page was more challenging in terms of creative content. I am not fond of writing about myself, so I bailed and just used my career and education information. I think I used 10 editing functions, but wikimedia keeps things fairly simple. You can see my profile page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment