Search This Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Individual Project - A Virtual Book Club for Kids and Teens


This individual project for web 2.0 is something I would love to pursue in more depth over the summer. I admit that I have not given it the time or attention to detail that it deserves. My basic idea is this: create a virtual spot for kids and teens to share ideas about books with friends and peers. This site would include a variety of tools already in place on the web, but not coordinated, not necessarily easy to find, and certainly not as user friendly and intuitive as kids need them. Some of the key activities I hoped to integrate were crowdsourcing in the form of sharing knowledge about books, audio and video development in the form of book trailers with sites like animoto and prezi. I would like the site to be a social networking hub in the form of things like messaging, chatting, creating groups, sharing favorites, reviewing, and ranking. I also wanted to incorporate blogging and microblogging, creating mash-ups, the use of tagging and sharing bookmarks, and geotagging, and use existing web-based applications that kids will enjoy, and most importantly foster collaboration.
Now, if I knew how to make all that work, I would not be in this class. I have learned a lot, but have a lot more to learn. So, I created a simple mock up of a site, made my own logos, and linked to sites that do some of the things I would like this site to accomplish. I introduce to you Literati.org. Stay tuned for more updates.

1 comment:

  1. Innovative concept. I like it. It encompasses a lot of effective web 2.0 tools. If you build it, they will come.

    ReplyDelete