Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

Web 2.0 gap analysis

My original objectives needed more specificity about building my knowledge base and understanding of web 2.0 concepts.  At this point in my academic career, I need to recognize that much of the learning comes from pursuing what I have been exposed to and see in a class like web 2.0 and Social Media.  I certainly have learned a tremendous amount about communicating through social media, but how do I implement that in my classroom?  How can I best inspire reading and writing using these tools? Is it through the use of wiki's and blogs? Can I begin to incorporate handheld technology, what would that look like with my students? What about podcasting, or digital storytellling? It is up to me to actualize these goals based on what I have seen here.
DI mentioned a previous comment about "academic rigor".  The class was challenging, and certainly had a lot of useful material and activities.  The assigned readings, the TED lectures, the youtube videos, all had their own intellectually stimulating quality.  Were they directly aligned and linked with established pedagogical research? Would that have made them more useful?  Probably not for me, I enjoyed the more conversational approach which encouraged peer learning and a lot of sharing. We were asked to join and participate in a number of social media sites that dealt directly with implementation of web 2.0 tools and concepts in education. At a workshop recently I was asked to align certain web 2.0 tools with pedagogical theory, this was interesting and eye opening. It felt a bit forced, and in this class I was able to explore and learn, later I can think about how theses tools work in terms of educational theory.
I would have liked to address implementation more directly in class, but cannot define how that would have happened. Just as I know my teaching style must adjust in this quickly evolving web based environment, my learning style and expectations must be adjusted as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment