Search This Blog

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Newbie event at ISTE Island



So I teleported over to ISTE island for the newcomers social. Feeling pretty confident after my evening session a few weeks ago with DI and many of my classmates. The social was set up around a campfire, quite a few people chatting. ISTE member Maggie Larimore was the hostess of the event, or seemed to be leading the chat session. My daughter wandered in with her homework (my wife was at book club), so she was immediately very interested. I tried to show her around and proceeded to walk through the campfire, sit down backwards, and generally bumble around for a while. Maggie was very helpful. I was able to get a marshmallow on a stick, and even accomplished getting a cup of tea. After a while I wandered around ISTE island, a very helpful place. A lot of nice beginner signs and notecards. I saw the snowmen! My daughter wanted a backpack, so we got one, and a giant pencil. I was really impressed with the ISTE resource center, very nice. I am looking forward to going back and exploring some more. I want to learn more about the podcast center. My daughter (8 years old) was hooked. She wants to go back and shop for some better clothes for my avatar. We ran in to another avatar in the resource center who was my twin (clone?), which convinced my daughter I need a new look. I have to admit, I really like the experience and the landscape, I am not very interested in spending time on appearance, etc. so getting her involved may be the push I need. I have the sense that this is not a "kids" environment, but I am intrigued with the educational potential and want to see how she does.

3 comments:

  1. Your experience sounds like it yielded helpful information, new SL acquaintances, and a fan in your 8 yo. That is so neat.

    I hope I'll be able to find a SLED event that's as beneficial.

    What will the next phase of virtual reality be like? I can't help but imagine that in the next few years, the virtual world of SL as we know it today will be passe and some other swanky new virtual technology will have moved into the cool spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, we must have just missed you. Zeneta, Morgan and I also went there last night. I think we missed the larger group of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of SL as a venue for family interaction is really neat - I wonder, though, why SL has rigidly divided the "teen" area and the "adult" area - would be nice if there were an all ages area which provided a "G" or even PG rated movie experience. I suppose that with an adult signing on, children like your daughter, really can participate. Have you taken her to a virtual museum yet?

    ReplyDelete